During our collaborations and interactions with our content creators’ community, there is one thing we have noticed: the frequent questions about the management of one's status, collaborations, and payment. As part of the vast ocean of the digital world, the job of content creator is a new and in constant evolution. 

Don't panic, your favorite agency has interviewed professionals in the industry. Amarris answered our questions just for you. For the little story, we work with them already and they are great.

AMARRIS is a Fiduciary Accountant 2.0, "Physical-Gital", a contraction of 2 words: Physical and Digital

- Physical in the human sense, that is to say that they are above all a professional accounting office with a support and monitoring provided by expert accountants 

- And Digital, in the way that they will exploit the advantages of digitalization to save time and make this time available to their clients.

At BeInfluence Europe, we see them as digital experts, accounting experts, 2.0 experts.

And that's not all!

The Amarris group has more than 20 million in revenues, 23,000 customers in France and Belgium, 350 employees, and the proud owners of the blog "Le Blog comptable et fiscal" in accounting. They did not stop there since they understood well the challenges and the power of digital, since their blog counts nearly 10 million visits and 4,5 million users.

I am a content creator, and I am still studying, and I don't have a VAT number:

➡️ What should I do to get paid for a collaboration? 

As a reminder, people who, in the exercise of an economic activity, deliver goods or provide services, independently and habitually, are subject to VAT.

This means that a content creator is subject to VAT if he supplies goods or services:

•on a regular basis

•on an independent basis

• with or without profit motive

• on a principal or secondary basis

• regardless of where the economic activity is carried out.

A person taxable for VAT is required to:

• to identify himself for VAT purposes before the beginning of the activity

• to file VAT returns

• to pay the VAT it charges to its customers

• to file an annual list of customers

• to keep accounts and issue receipts

If he does not carry out this activity under the above conditions, he does not have to be subject to VAT. To receive his remuneration, he will simply have to provide a copy of his identity card and a bank account number. The client will then be able to make the tax form.

➡️ How to correctly declare my income in this case?

Each year, the content creator must complete his personal income tax return (TaxonWeb), under the heading "Professional Income".


- If your income is less than 7,021.29 euros per year (2021 amount), you do NOT pay social security contributions. Your parents will continue to receive child benefits. Your income is your gross income, minus your professional expenses. 

- Please note: child benefits have become a regional matter since 1 January 2020. In Brussels, Flanders or Wallonia, differences are possible.

- Parents pay more or less tax depending on whether they have one or more dependent children. What determines whether a child is dependent is, on the one hand, the fact that the child lives in the same place as his/her parents on January 1 of the year in question and, on the other hand, the income of the children.

- If the child is dependent on both parents, married couples or legal cohabitants, a student may remain fiscally dependent on his/her parents up to 7,021.29 euros per year (2021 amount).

I am a content creator, and I work in the same time as an employee without VAT number:

➡️ What should I do to get paid for a collaboration? 

Easy, it is the same conditions stated above 😉

➡️ How to correctly declare my income in this case?

Annually, the content creator will have to complete his personal income tax return (TaxonWeb), section "Diverse incomes"

I am a freelance content creator or in an additional activity with or without VAT number:

You should know that there are different VAT regimes. 

Common tax regime

• Companies must submit a monthly declaration.

• Companies whose turnover does not exceed 2,500,000 euros excluding VAT can submit a quarterly declaration.

Special tax regimes

The application of the normal VAT regime involves a number of tax obligations. In order to simplify these obligations, small companies can choose certain special regimes (the choice of the normal regime is always possible).

Here is an overview of these different systems:

• The tax-free regime concerns small businesses with an annual revenue not exceeding 25,000 euros (excluding VAT). These companies are exempt from most of the tax obligations related to VAT.

• The flat-rate scheme applies to companies whose annual turnover does not exceed 750,000 euros (excluding VAT), which deal mainly with private customers, and which operate in certain sectors. The flat-rate system cannot be applied to creators (Sectors: butchers and pork butchers, bakers and bakers-pastry cooks, cafe owners).

➡️ What should I do to get paid for a collaboration? 

To get paid, you must provide an appropriate invoice with the application of VAT or not depending on the system + bank account + payment deadline + general sales conditions.

➡️ How to declare my income in this case?

Each year, the creator must complete his personal income tax return (TaxonWeb) as a self-employed person, under the heading "Professional income".

I am a content creator with a company and VAT number:

➡️ What should I do to get paid for a collaboration? 

To get paid, you need to provide a proper invoice with VAT application or not depending on the regime + bank account + payment term + general sales conditions (like a freelance😉). 

➡️ How to correctly declare my income in this case?

Finally if a creator has his company with his VAT number, to declare his income he will have to complete his corporate tax return as a "company".

Some tips 👀 

  • Not using a professional accountant is taking risks
  • There's nothing stopping you from calling in a friend for your accounting. However, the accounting mission is demanding and has very little tolerance for approximations. Errors can become expensive, either in additional costs or in fines. That's why it's essential to call on a professional in the field: he/she guarantees you the right advice and follow-up.
  • Calling on a professional accountant can save you time, which can be used to conquer new markets!
  • The role of the professional accountant is also to advise you on certain tax measures, to accompany you in the management of your cash flow, to share "good practices" to reduce your expenses... (the good plan 😉)

As the life of an entrepreneur is made of ups and downs, the accountant must be considered as a partner in the long term. And he is!

Thanks to Fouad Ben Larbi, for answering questions you might have. Do not hesitate to contact them 😊 

*Belgian regulations*

FOLLOW US @beinfluence

Dont' forget,